We are seeking to recruit a School Nurse to provide excellent medical care and treatment to our pupils and to work alongside and support non-medical colleagues in the provision of medical and pastoral care.
Your key objectives will be to effectively deal with medical emergencies and assess and appropriately treat unwell or injured pupils. You will ensure that the Health Centre is suitably equipped, safely maintained, clean and stocked with medication that is within date and appropriately stored and ensure that all boarders have access to any medical services they require.
The Health Centre is open Monday to Friday from 7.45 am to 8.00 pm and some Saturdays from 8.15 am to 5.30 pm. It comprises an office, a shower/toilet and a three-bedded resting room, all situated within the Senior Boarding House in the main school building.
This is a full-time role (up to 37.5 hours per week), working with one other RN on mutually agreed shifts, to cover the Health Centre opening hours of 70 hours per week. Working hours are term time only plus 2 additional administration days before the start of the Autumn Term.
- RN (child) or RN with current Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) Pin Number.
- Up to date nursing validation to meet NMC guidelines on mandatory training.
You should be willing to complete training relevant to the school setting before commencing work as indicated below*
- School nursing or practice nursing experience
- First Aid at Work qualification, 3-day course. *
- Safeguarding training Level 2 or 3. *
- Experience of or qualification in sports injury care and treatment. *
- Full current UK driving license and use of a car.
Skills and Attributes
- Possesses an excellent level of clinical judgement
- Is a mature, confident and independent practitioner
- Is able to work with and support a non-medical team.
- Must enjoy working with children and adolescents.
- Is interested in the pastoral care and emotional wellbeing of children.
- Understands how to apply The Code to the role of school nurse.
- Is able to recognise professional boundaries and competence. Understands when to ask for help.
- Has the ability to prioritise work and manage situations and deadlines effectively.
- Has a professional, adaptable and proactive attitude. Sense of humour.
- Understands the importance of confidentiality, tact and discretion.
- Has excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to interact with people at all levels, combining confidence and assertiveness in a calm, courteous and professional manner.
- Possesses competent IT skills – Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Is willing to work with electronic health records and documentation via the school database, Schoolbase.
- Has excellent verbal communication skills and telephone manner.
- Has excellent written communication, documentation and literacy skills. Able to draft appropriate letters and emails to parents and colleagues.
- Understands the need for accurate and timely documentation – able to organise information and document assessments.
- Must have good time management skills and be able to prioritise tasks.
Method of Application
Read the full Job Description and download an Application Form.
Applications should be addressed to: HR Manager, Highfield School, Highfield Lane, Liphook, Hampshire, GU30 7LQ or sent via email to email@example.com.
Closing Date for Applications: Friday 31st July 2020